Thursday, March 10, 2022

[Avid-L2] Aces and other color managed workflow Production Side to Post?

I've never integrated Aces in my workflows but I'm trying to understand the elements of the workflow better.  I get confused when I'm told production used Aces but I'm given Panny Vlog/Vgamma media.  I think this means that they shot normal Vlog but then took it to an on set Resolve etc... and reviewed the footage in Aces mode to generate CDLs to pass on. 

Does shooting in "Aces" mean the video tap off the camera used an Aces transform to be displayed on the video village monitor? 

If I receive Panny Vlog/Vgamma is there anything inherently Aces about the media?

Is there a way to shoot directly to Aces instead of Vlog or Sony Slog 3 etc...?

I recently found in Resolve the Vlog/Vgamma that I received with CDL works properly in an Aces mode in Resolve.  This seems to deal with the conversion more appropriately than my standard approach which has been the Lut for Vlog to Rec 709.  For a long time I've been asking why there aren't Luts to take Vlog to HDR P3D65/2084 but have never found such a Lut.  It seems either Aces or Resolve's Color Managed workflow allow for input color space and input gamma to achieve a proper conversion to the timeline color space and gamma. 

Not sure I've wrapped my head around the various steps and proper approaches in Post.  Anybody got some suggestions?

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment