Saturday, February 20, 2021

[Avid-L2] IMF DolbyVision Metadata version mismatch in Resolve?

I know this is an Avid list but many of you are more versed than I am in the world of Resolve.  I've emailed my Resolve HDR classmates with this but thought maybe someone here might have some insight.  The need to deal with DolbyVision, IMFs and the ever changing HDR landscape has me looking into what's really going on under the hood.  Here's what I sent to my HDR class:

Taking an out of house IMF which I imported the embedded DolbyVision metadata from the IMF into a Resolve 16.2.7 project.  The IMF file is "BethStelling_GirlDaddy_DolVis40-rec2020pq_3840x2160_23976_16ch-ENG_200903".  I have set the mastering display setting in the project to Rec 2020 D-65 1000 nits but I intermittently get this error message:

Inline image


If however I set the mastering display setting to P3 D-65 1000 Nits I don't seem to get this error popping up.  I looked through the IMF .xml files to see if I could find some text that would confirm what the dolbyvision metadata really is.  The file name would imply the DolbyVision 4.0 at Rec 2020PQ but that causes the above error message.  It would sure be helpful if Resolve would just indicate what the DolbyVision Metadata is to alleviate all this unnecessary guess work.  The error seems to only pop up when I switch from custom metadata, of which there is none, to embedded metadata but it doesn't happen every time I switch.  Is there a way to visually parse through the .xml files in the IMF to find some English text that will describe what the specs of the DolbyVision metadata is in the IMF?




John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

No comments:

Post a Comment