Monday, November 9, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] Best Collaboration/Review/Notes Tool for MC?

Job  talked me through using Zoom - it works great for the price.  You use a laptop (or second computer) and set the capture device to be your 'camera,' (I think you can even use NDI?) and play your Avid output into that device.  Then you invite yourself, the editor, to that session as well, using a third computer or device - I used my iphone.  Also, turn your speakers down because you want to experience the cut the way the other viewers are seeing it.  There's only a little delay, but its enough to be confusing.

In zoom you choose 720 and 'original audio,' or something like that.  Not great, but pretty good all things considered.

What's super cool about this setup is you can actually watch the rest of the creative time watching your cut - something that was kind of creepy before - you can literally watch their face.  I switch off the camera on my iphone in the session, so they kind of forget that I'm watching, too.  Especially if you know that collaborator well, you can see right away what's working for them, and what's not.  It's a unique experience.

There's a professional version of this, of course… can't remember what it's called… but the price made it cost prohibitive for my most recent collaborative project.

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
GK Huson, LLC
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
www.SecretHQ.com   

On Nov 9, 2020, at 9:42 AM, David Dodson <davaldod@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, guys,

Shooting has ended on a feature I'm cutting, and now we've got a Covid-era situation in which the the director and producers who would nominally participate in the room are going to be in Iceland, Palm Springs, and here in L.A. during the process.

I need to know what people like for a kind of screen sharing app (even Zoom, maybe?) that allows everyone to see my Media Composer desktop and watch along as I hack and chop and everyone throws in their two cents or two króna.

Opinions, referrals appreciated.

DD


David Dodson





No comments:

Post a Comment