Thursday, January 16, 2020

Re: [Avid-L2] 4TB Glyph AtomRaid SSD Issue?

The reason I'm considering trim is because when I say the edited from the drives I also mean they edited to the drives.  The drives were not considered just as a source but I bet they rendered things to it.  With less than 5 percent free space coming from the field that means there was only about 280 GB free space.  The pattern of the failures also seems like the drives became progressively problematic over weeks of editing.  The two drives from night two of the shoot became completely unusable from what I'm told, I have not seen these drives as they were already sent to Melrose Mac for assessment.  

One tech suggested the drives were not properly ejected as a possible source of the problem.  I heard second hand that the tech said he'd seen that as a problem with SSDs and a power hit could also cause issues.  I've never experienced this with my SSDs in my laptop or my PCIe SSD in my mac pro at home.  The tech made it sound like it was a common problem and he suggested SSDs weren't good to edit with.  I assume he meant to be rendering to etc... over and over.  I can't say I've heard that either.

Perhaps there is a design flaw with these drives or a bad batch.  We have a support ticket in with Glyph so I'm told.  I will be curious what they can figure out.  I think if the drives were only being used as a source the issues probably wouldn't have cropped up but again I'm just guessing.  So the combination of not much free space for the renders etc... and the progressive nature of the failures is what made me think of the trim type issue.  I'm just wondering if an external SSD small 4TB raid drive is more prone to trim type of errors than an internal SSD where the OS is managing the trim type stuff to keep the drive performing more optimally.  I welcome any and all suggestions and experience.  I had never heard improperly ejecting SSDs is way more dangerous than spinning drives.  Not that I want to improperly eject drives but I've never had it much a spinning drive and I don't think I've done it with a removable SSD, YET!!!
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#133879) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [administrator242.death@blogger.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment