Thursday, November 7, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] DolbyVision Grading without CMU?

 

Thanks I will experiment when I get a chance.  The DNxIO is HDMI 2.0 as far as I know given it is basically the BM UltraStudio.

I guess one of my core confusions is what generates the metadata down the HDMI that will trigger the LG monitor to sense Dolby Vision.  Is setting the  project to Rec 2020/ST2084 etc... what tells Resolve to send the signal down HDMI, once that is enabled, to let the monitor know what it's getting.  I had been thinking it was the enabling of Dolby Vision and then enabling Dolby Vision Metadata on HDMI that would then trigger the monitor to sense Dolby Vision regardless of what levels were coming off the timeline.

I guess I will appreciate it HDR even more once I get it working.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <gowanuscanalstinks@...> wrote :

Ok there is a lot here. 

1. HDR project in Resolve is very tricky. There are a lot of settings you need to do properly in order to get the correct color and gamma output. 
I suggest creating a project that is Rec 2020 / ST2084 gamma for input, timeline and output setting in Color Management. 

Maximum timeline Luminance timeline value at 10k ( don't ask why for now ). 

HDR mastering to 1000 nits. 

2. When bringing in material to your HDR project, make sure Resolve is interpreting the color and gamma correctly. Right click the source and manually change if needed in media page.  In your case your, the IMF should be set to 709 and likely 2.4 gamma. 

3. Don't use any LUTs in this case as it complicates things. Do this after you are generating the proper HDR signal to your TV. 

4. Under Video Monitoring / Video format / disable Dual SDI. 
This will prevent the second SDI output from generating a trim level signal. It will be the same as SDI 1, your mastering settings. 

5. Dolby should be active in Color Management. I assume your hardware can do HDMI 2.0. 

Enable HDR metadata over HDMI. 

6. Enable HDR scopes in Preference / User. 


If you have everything right, your peaks should be hitting around 100 nits. If not, can your force DV HDR mode manually with your TV?





DQS


On Nov 7, 2019, at 7:15 PM, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


So far no luck.  I've got a Resolve project I'm using to make IMFs.  I bring a Rec 709 IMF back into the project to check it.  This is an SDR Rec 709 IMF.  I make a timeline using the IMF clip, not creating timeline using CPL.  I then set an output lut to gamma 2.4 to 2084 1000 Nits.  Not the output on my scope and the LG 2016 OLED fed by HDMI 1.4 cable shows a darker signal.  The Rec 709 peaks are at approx 50 percent on the scope, like I would expect them to be.

I go to project settings color managment tab and enable Dolby Vision for 1000 Nits, setting target in the settings to 1000 nits.  I now see the Dolby Vision Tab in the color page.  I also in project settings IIRC Master Tab enable Dolby Vision Metadata over HDMI.  I don't see any way to turn off the trim mode in the color page Dolby Tab.  There is a pulldown menu with various target displays but there is not choice to turn off or use no target display.  I also haven't found the dual monitor mode.  Have I missed a step and need to turn on something like 3D stereo mode?

So I have an output that seems correct to feed a monitor that would interpret the levels as HDR but the LG is still running in a Rec 709 mode as far as I can tell.  Do I have to do the analyze stuff to make this work.  The manual says don't use a tunneling monitor for grading but I'd at least like to see a reasonable representation of HDR.  Could my 1.4 HDMI cable not carry Dolby Metadata.  I thought as long as it had the ethernet capability it was good enough for short HDMI 2.0.  What I'm expecting is to see the dolby vision logo pop up briefly when I swttich into this software tunneling mode.

I don't thinks I'm clear when you say disable dual output mode, it read like I shouldn't confuse it with Dual Link mode.  Where is this dual output mode I should disable?  Is this somehow tied to being in a faux 3d mode to get and HDR and and SDR output simultaneously, which is what we did in class but we didn't get deep into the set up.

I'm just an SDR guy thrust into an HDR new world.  Help me MR. WIZARDQQQ

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment