Friday, November 29, 2019

[Avid-L2] How to set up HDR Avid Project with Panny Varicam 35 Vlog, Vgamut material?

So what I've learned from my recent thread is that Vlog/Vgamut can be transformed to Rec 709, which I'm very familiar with, and it can be transformed to HDR.  I'm trying to sort out how Avid HDR workflow might work although I think ultimately this will need to be finished in Resolve.  I'm assuming we will be delivering in DolbyVision to the network.  The material was shot AVC-Intra 4:2:2 YUV like we have been receiving for our SDR deliveries.  I set up a 4K DCI project 4096_2160 YCbCr 2020 / SMPTE 2084 based on the source being YCbCr.

So here I sit scratching my head.  I can add my typical Vlog to Rec 709 either from Panasonic or the one internal to Avid and they both look fine in my Rec 709 world.  What I really need is Vlog to SMPTE 2084 levels.  I went to panasonic site and downloaded their Post LUTs but they are all looks.  I can find the Vlog to Rec 709 on the site but isn't there a transform to take the Vlog/Vgamut to SMPTE 2084 levels so I have a basic starting point like I get in my typical Rec 709 workflows with the same material.

Maybe it's the season but I'm feeling like a real HDR turkey.  I know Avid is just getting into HDR but I wanted to at least look at the material in my comfort zone of Avid before jumping into the Resolve side of things.  I now have an Aja Hi5 4K plus so I can at least tell my LG OLED 2016 monitor to turn into HDR mode, at least that's what it says on the screen when I switch to HDR SMPTE 2084 on the converter.

I'm also sketchy as to the actual workflow.  I'm thinking I color correct with the 2084 levels and the monitor knows to treat them as HDR 2084 levels and displays accordingly.  Now when do things actually become DolbyVision?  Is it after the Layer One analysis that creates the blanket SDR conversion?  I took an HDR class but things were very arm wavy over the specifics of exactly how to setup Resolve in stereo mode to see HDR and SDR on two separate outputs.  I'm feeling like I'm getting a "New Format High Colonic."

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.netSo

No comments:

Post a Comment