Monday, July 15, 2019

[Avid-L2] CalDigit Kext or extension takes down USB buss on Mac Trash Can

 

I think I bested my crash and burn record on the Sony Pictures lot last week.  While installing the driver for my Intuos 3 wacom tablet on a Mac Trash Can OS 13.6 IIRC I was asked to go to Security and Privacy to allow 3rd party access.  I saw some checkboxes for wacom, salids (or something like that) and CalDigit.  I mistakenly checked the CalDigit box in the process.  Upon restart I had no keyboard or mouse, even after connecting the mouse directly to the computer bypassing the keyboard.

Fortunately they were swapping my computer anyways for one with enough ram but I learned that Allowing the CalDigit extension or KEXT to be installed shuts down the USB buss on Trash Cans.  The great engineers at Sony knew this from personal experience and they were kind enough to not slap me around.  Apparently the CalDigit code is legacy only for Cheese Graters and destructive to Trash Cans.  I'm not sure why the computer even asked me to allow the CalDigit driver thingy.  Perhaps previously the computer had been connected to a CalDigit device that required it or maybe the computer had been imaged from an Cheese Grater Image.  Just guessing but beware of CalDigit in Security and Privacy on Mac Trash Cans.

I'd say I learned the hard way but the engineers were so professional they made it feel like the easy way to learn.

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment