Sunday, April 28, 2019

Re: BOOM! SOLVED! - Re: [Avid-L2] TAR on LTO - how much have I forgotten?

 

Hi John,

TAR stands for Tape ARchive. It basically just concatenates a bunch of small files into one big file and adds an index so it knows how to separate them again later. There's no compression at all.. Originally it was just a way of managing the stream of data on a tape, but was later used as a way of archiving files on disk. When used this way it is usually combined with the gzip compression algorithm to produce files with either .tar.gz or .tgz extension.

Ross

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 18:05, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I was guided to a TAR of the npack script/command.  I was given a google drive link to the TAR.  It open like a .zip.  After a google upon reading your posts is TAR like a ZIP archive or is there something specific to the format that makes it better for Tape archive compression?  Is TAR more efficient compression than ZIP?



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <jay_mahavier@...> wrote :

BOOM! SOLVED! - Well, sort of. I mean I have mt installed now, but it sure was not how I did it before. I downloaded some code from GitHub and figured out how to compile it in Xcode (first time ever using Xcode) and got it all working now.

But if anyone knows what I did last time I would really like to know.

I should probably write this down or something, right?

Jay


> On Apr 27, 2019, at 4:43 AM, Jay Mahavier jay_mahavier@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> Short story:
> I'm trying to access some TAR backups that are on LTO tapes. I have notes that in the past I used gnutar and mt commands. mt to mount and control the tape and gnutar to retrieve the archives. I've got gnutar installed, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get mt onto my Mac. Any help?
>
>
> Long story:
> About seven years ago I got some LTO tape backups from a studio. They are TAR archives on LTO. I eventually figured out how to get the tapes mounted and get the data off. But now that I want to migrate this date to LTFS I can't remember exactly how I got the TAR tapes mounted and my notes are lacking. And I can't figure out how I figured this out before.. My notes consist of the following…
>
>
>
>
> **Use GNUTAR because TAR pulls zero byte files**
>
> mt -f /dev/rst0 blocksize 524288
>
> mt -f /dev/rst0 status
>
> mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
>
> (end of data)
> mt -f /dev/rst0 eod
>
> (go to previous record)
> mt -f /dev/rst0 bsfm 1
>
> (go to next record)
> mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf 1
>
> mt -f /dev/rst0 erase
>
> (unload the tape)
> mt -f /dev/rst0 offline
>
> (get data from tape to directory you are in)
> gnutar -b 1024 -xvf /dev/rst0
>
> (write data to tape)
> gnutar -b 1024 -cvf /dev/rst0/test_A.tar B463R1S9
>
> gnutar cvf /dev/rst0/test_A B463R1S9
>
>
>
>
> I have two systems that I have found that have gnutar installed. BUT, neither of them appear to have mt installed. But obviously I was using mt to control the mounting of the tape and moving the tape from record to record. And I actually remember doing that part. So obviously I had a system that had mt installed. But how? I can't figure out where I got it from for the Mac. Or how I got it installed. I'm not even sure how I was ever that smart.
>
>
> Jay
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Jay Mahavier <jay_mahavier@...>
> ------------------------------------
>
> this is the Avid-L2
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Ross Flint <rossflint.lists@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment