Friday, May 19, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Is UTF8 bug fixed in subtitles fixed?

 



Hmm.
Just did an export from Avid, and it seems Avid exports your Japanese as UTF 16 le  :-)
 
Bouke
 
VideoToolShed
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  NIJMEGEN, the Netherlands
if you want to send me big files, use this:
www.videotoolshed.wetransfer.com
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Is UTF8 bug fixed in subtitles fixed?

 

Hi Bouke,

The comment wasn't aimed _solely_ at you :-)

I've tried yours, and several others. My translators are all pretty low
tech, but I set them up with a simple audio app that can show NDF
timecode as it's time counter, and just send them the audio via ftp.
They type in a line of translation, with the start and end marked with
the timecode numbers. They don't have to mess with colons or anything --
I run a little script on their text files that formats it all for the
subcap effect (.txt, not STL)

That imports immediately into the subcap effect. I step through the
program, only need to tweak a handful of subtitles, and I'm done.

Anyway, I appreciate your offer to text a subtitle file on a current
Avid. The bug is that the subcap can't use UTF8, so all the double-byte
wide characters get broken into their single byte components --
resulting in an unreadable mess.

Tim

On 2017/05/19 18:56, Bouke / VideoToolShed wrote:
>> On 19 May 2017, at 01:18, Tim Selander selander@tkf.att.ne.jp
>> <mailto:selander@tkf.att.ne.jp> [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
>> <mailto:Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Even though I upgraded our licenses back the last time there was a 'no
>> more update' deadline on Media Composer, we're still using 5.5 and 6
>> because of the bug in the subtitle filter/generator in newer versions
>> that chokes on UTF8/Japanese. Is that a Mac only problem?
>>
> I vaguely remember something. What was the bug again?
>
> I know for sure that an ALE has problems with UTF-8 and Hebrew, it has
> to be in Windows-1255, perhaps something like that applies here too?
> (If the coder uses the same routine to parse the text…)
> That would be an easy conversion. (Once we've figured out what charset
> to use…)
> I'm happy to toy around here, if you have an example file for me. (And
> an image on how it 'should' look like, I'm not that fluent in Japanese.)
>
>> Has that bug been fixed yet? I'd download the trial and see, but don't
>> have a machine running the OS the new versions of MC need... we're stuck
>> in the past of OSX 10.7.
>>
>> Any info appreciated. (Except recommending another subtitling software.
>>
> I take it that was aimed at me :-)
> But since you already have 'something' that generates the TXT files,
> isn't STL an option then?
> (Granted, STL has problems of it's own…)
>
> Or, I'm pretty sure SubCap is a simple plugin. Can't you use the
> Subcap effect from a version that does not have this bug?
> (But probably has another bug, I hate SubCap)
> This would involve a little hacking though...
> I must admit, I have no idea where it could be located on your system.
> Only Mac version I have is 8.4.1, and I can't locate any subcap plugin
> in there, although it does appear as effect…
> (I've searched the .app's contents, but it's not clearly visible
> there, but perhaps Avid techs can help you here.)
>
> Bouke
>
> VideoToolShed.com <http://VideoToolShed.com>
> van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
> 6512 AS Nijmegen
> +31 6 21817248
> To send files, go here:
> https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/
>
>> Have tried a bunch and nothing is as fast and as smooth as our workflow
>> using Avid's admittedly limited subtitle feature.)
>>
>> Tim Selander
>> Tokyo, Japan
>>
>>
>

----------

<begin subtitles>

00:02:34:17 00:02:36:12
前回の放送では

00:02:36:12 00:02:39:18
神様があなたを見たら
神様はあなたを裁きの目で見ません

00:02:39:18 00:02:44:00
神様は憐れみと愛の目で見るんです

00:02:44:00 00:02:46:16
今日のジョゼフ・プリンス牧師

00:02:46:16 00:02:52:05
そこである時 私は約束の箱がどこにあるのか
とても気になった人のうちの1人だったんです 

00:02:52:05 00:02:55:05
私はそれについて本を読んで 本を買って

00:02:55:05 00:03:00:13
ナショジオのドキュメンタリーでこの王の何かが
何やらというのを見て でもそれは時間の無駄なんです

00:03:00:13 00:03:03:22
それだけ言っておきましょう
なぜなら本物の約束の箱が来たからです

<end subtitles>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Virus-free. www.avast.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Edit B" <bouke@editb.nl>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment