Saturday, May 28, 2016

Re: [Avid-L2] Likely done with Avid

 

> These movies were LIKELY DONE with Avid Media Composer:
> (actually they were done on Avid Media Composer)
> Mad Max: Fury Road
> Star Wars: The Force Awakens
> The Revenant
> Spotlight
> The Big Short
> Star Trek Into Darkness
> Birdman
> Whiplash
> The Grand Budapest Hotel
> Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
> The Imitation Game
> Sin City
> The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
> Nebraska
> The Great Gatsby
> The Amazing Spider-Man
> Star Trek
> Iron Man
> The Artist
>
> owen

> > On May 28, 2016, at 10:02 AM, bigfish@pacbell.net [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> > ---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <gen@...> wrote :
> > " Things got lost, drives wouldn't serve up things fast enough
> > and moving media around and getting PP to find it when it's not where it
> > left it is tantamount to 'understanding women' (excuse the sexism but I
> > think it's a good analogy :-) )"
> >
> >
> > My wife has been editing as long as I have and for the last 15ish years she has been Avid. For the last 23 years she hasn't gone "Offline" once, especially when it comes to chores lists. Had she been using Premiere or FCP I don't think I could make the same claim.
> >
> > To your points about Adobe Media Encoder I have now incorporated AME into my Avid workflows using QT Ref out of Avid into AME and it's working well for my needs. Not refuting your experience or preference just saying I can stay all warm and fuzzy in Avid and go the AME route so far.
> >
> > 4K may be the one area I have to jump ship but so far I'm making it work too on my first project. There is a part of me that is starting to realize all my work arounds are beginning to feel like changing deck chairs on the Titanic. ;-)
> >
> > ---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <gen@...> wrote :
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Been reading this thread with great interest.
> >
> > I've been using Avid since the very early days, after I moved on from
> > D-Vision! But I left the employed post production environment almost
> > 10years ago just when HD was gathering momentum. But in my freelance
> > roles I continued using Avids. Certainly not broke so no need to fix it.
> >
> > I twiddled and dipped my toes with Premiere from time to time but it
> > never really seemed to work right and I got frustrated and just headed
> > home to Avid where it was safe and warm and everything worked.
> >
> > But then came the world where getting it onto tape was not the be all
> > and end all of everything. Suddenly people wanted an 'medja file' or
> > can I e-mail this 10second clip. I noticed I was having to do the edit,
> > export a clip in which ever was the nice and quick codec and then re
> > compress it in media encoder to what the client wanted. Seemed a bit
> > clunky. One time a client wanted to 'just show' someone something we'd
> > do so they shot it on their mobile phone and sent it that way.
> >
> > So I moved on to Premier.. Same client a few months later wanted to do
> > the same thing, the phone came out.. Hold on I said... Click, click,
> > tap, queue, export to a youtube preset. Carry on working.. A couple of
> > minutes later, whilst still working, I get a noise and flick back to
> > media encoder and pull up the uploaded youtube link.. 1080p unlisted,
> > send that to your client (I say in the e-mail to their phone.)
> >
> > It is the ability for me to turn things around so quickly that lost my
> > patience with Avid and threw me at Premier Pro. Sure it is an A$$ when
> > discs need moving or when stuff gets lost, but you learn to deal with
> > that in the ways we learned to deal with 'time of day' camera rolls shot
> > over multiple days. You get on with it and come out the other side
> > stronger.
> >
> > The final death knell for my avid was when I recently completed an 18
> > camera theatre production using PP CC. Sure it was an uphill struggle
> > on week 1. Things got lost, drives wouldn't serve up things fast enough
> > and moving media around and getting PP to find it when it's not where it
> > left it is tantamount to 'understanding women' (excuse the sexism but I
> > think it's a good analogy :-) ) But the show has multiple media types,
> > some of the inserts were shot 'crowd sourced' on mobile phones at daft
> > frame rates, aspects and codecs. there is 4K material, HD, SD and (aside
> > from playing all those streams at once) Premiere didn't even let me
> > notice there were all these variables. It just got on with it.
> >
> > And now that show is done. Deliverables... Took me about 20minutes to
> > set going (yeah still takes hours to check when they are done) but it is
> > just the ease of in and out of things that has made me switch and I am
> > now a paid up Adobe subscriber. I'm sure there will be problems with
> > the software upgrading itself mid project (always a no no in my book) or
> > some other thing to totally F U the day, but keep good daily backups and
> > you'll only ever loose a day or two if it goes pear shaped.
> >
> > The only fly in the ointment is I have to keep an old version of CS5 on
> > another laptop for when I want to digitise from my HDV camcorder :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Marcus
> > Big Ideas Productions
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ps. Tp really sink the knife in I actually used Audition to do the 5.1
> > mix of the audio... What is the world coming to? :-)
> >
> >
>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: "owen@thenowcorporation.com" <owen@thenowcorporation.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (38)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment