Sunday, May 31, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] working directly with Avid mxf files in other programs

 

Several posts back the thread took a turn to "Interleaving", about the same time "spam" was added to the subject line. Maybe the Interleaving thread could resume with a new or modified subject?

In any event Dave (Hogan) thanks a million for the "QuickTime Reference" suggestion.  I *think* this bypasses the need to directly use the Avid mxf files in another program* On my Avid via the local network I mounted the boot drive of another Mac I'd like to use for transcoding and saved a Qt Reference to it.  If that other Mac (not the Avid) also has the Avid media drive in question mounted via the network, I was able to use Adobe Media Encoder to compress the video I captured on the Avid *without* the extra time consuming step of exporting a standalone (no dependencies) Quicktime!  I imagine this is exactly how it is supposed to work but I've had generally avoided QuickTime Reference movies but this is a fantastic use for them.  Again thanks so much!

Paul

footnote about mxf & Premiere...

*I'm still curious about this. Especially as I came across an instance where Premiere CC would work with mxf files, though they did not come from an Avid.  When I posted about that on Creative Cow, I got this reply.  

Premiere only natively supports MXF export for DNxHD. For QuickTime DNxHD export, you will need to download the codecs from Avid. They can be found here:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

I believe there may be some flavors of Avid MXF files that Premiere may not support. When you went to import the Avid file, did it provide a File Import Failure dialog with a message that file is not supported?

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro








On May 27, 2015, at 5:04 AM, 'Edit B' bouke@editb.nl [Avid-L2] wrote:

 

Paul,
FFmpeg will do the job just fine.
 
Bouke
 
VideoToolShed
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  NIJMEGEN, the Netherlands
+31 24 3553311
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:44 PM
Subject: *** SPAM ***Re: [Avid-L2] working directly with Avid mxf files in other programs

 

Thanks Curtis & Mark,

Sadly I'm using an old Avid MC with Mojo SDI and I think one has to be using MojoDx to capture to ProRes. If I see a potential "volume" business I will get a new box that will do ProRes natively. I'd first would like to get my head around what software will work with Avid MXF files, anyone know?

Thanks,

Paul


On May 26, 2015, at 2:19 PM, Curtis Nichols curtisn@pcsproductions.com [Avid-L2] wrote:

 

FWIW, you could dub to AJA KiPro, or any other file recorder, instead of dubbing to MC. I realize that may be added cost to a simple project that already has a paid-for Avid. But it's also a one-step solution. Then all you'd have to do is rename the files and copy to archive storage media.

Curtis Nichols
PCS Production Co.
Irving, TX.


On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Paul Dougherty lists@postlit.com [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I'm using an older Media Composer to capture 1:1 lossless NTSC for archival purposes. For this project the preservation format or digital master will be ProRes. I'd like to be able to distribute the processing ie. not tie up the Avid for transcoding but keep it free to do capture. Is there a way to skip the "export to Qt" step and work directly with the mxf "capture" files? (1 video & 2 audio in Premiere for example?)









Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com




__._,_.___

Posted by: Paul Dougherty <lists@postlit.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment