Friday, August 3, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Movie Export FAILED!

 


On Aug 3, 2012, at 12:29 PM, artisanaltv wrote:

> And I'm not sure how to divide and conquer a timeline that only has
one clip of audio and one clip of video.

I suggest:

Well, if there's only one clip of each audio and video, as a test,
you could 'divide' them by using 'add edit' to split them into two
clips, make two separate sequences out of the two pieces, and then try
exporting each sequence separately. If one sequence works and the
other one doesn't, you've narrowed down the location of the damage.
But it sounds to me like that won't help you either. I'm still pretty
sure that you have one or more seriously corrupted clips that's
causing the problem. I've seen this issue at my workplace as well,
though I am not in a position at NBC to fix the problem (or even fully
understanding it). We have the luxury of simply abandoning the
corrupted clip and either using another similar one, or skipping it
altogether.
If it's only a single clip of each audio and video, can you simply re-
capture the original clips and try to export again? If the clip(s)
are damaged as I suspect, re-capturing might give you undamaged media
which should export OK.

Artisinal also said:

> As I described in my original post, even after mixing down, I still
had to take 5 or 6 tries before I stumbled into the loop where it was
"scanning for unrendered Audio Suite plugins" which hung up for a long
moment. When I then cancelled out of that dialogue, for some reason I
was now able to make a single export. After that point, further
attempts to export resulted in the same "Movie Export Failed" error.

I say:

This clue leads me to believe that the damaged media is an audio
file. Your Avid is having trouble mixing down the audio. The
corruption is causing the hangup; cancelling out may produce an audio
mixdown that's not complete, but enough to make your one export.
After that, attempts to export the mixdown produces the "Movie Export
Failed" error because the corruption is still present in the mixdown.

Artisinal continued:

> Also, I was able to reproduce the other error message. It was:
> Exception: std::exception, what: "Segmentation fault" in thread
"Adopted Thread", at address 0x0
> Does that help shine any light on things?

I offer:

Not sure but it could be that the clip is unreadable at the very
beginning. I think a segmentation fault refers to the 'joints'
between segments in the media. A clip in a bin may actually point to
more than one actual media file. Joints between these files may not
match up, causing a segmentation fault. This is a guess, since I
don't really know the underpinnings of Avid media.

Artisinal closed with:

> Thanks for any help anyone can give. 3am is not a fun time to find
out you can't get your video out of the computer.

I say:

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, 3am is when I START to
work! ;)

Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
NBC Today Show, New York

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment