Saturday, July 7, 2012

[Avid-L2] Re: Alexa ProRes, Avid, and Frame Rates

 

> Job ter Burg wrote:
> Saw colleagues trying this out twice. Both times
> they got screwed on some takes

Yes, I can see how that happens. Although what I proposed, makes the camera cards the main recording and the external files for editorial secondary. It's more likely that the external recording would get missed. Unless the camera operator completely messes up, it's pretty hard to not roll the camera. But, I have seen it happen, especially when the operator isn't that familiar with the camera operation. I've also seen 5D clips when the operator got start & stop reversed and recorded the resets between the takes, rather than the takes themselves! Less likely to occur with a more "pro" camera and a bigger crew, though.

> I must appear stubborn, but I just don't like the risk.

Not stubborn at all! It's just one of many possible approaches and may or may not be the best, depending on circumstances. All good plans always get messed up during actual production. As an editor, I prefer to have the crew do as little as possible and just concentrate on getting the best image and sound capture first and foremost. This includes all DIT pre-post work. I don't want it and don't need it. I'd rather have the editorial team be responsible for any and all dailies, including RED conversions, etc.

> Arri on their site only advise to use double recorders
> if they are being cross-checked on-set, to make
> 100.00% sure that they exist.

Yes, that's essential. But I've also seen crews re-format cards thinking they had been offloaded, when in fact they hadn't. Nothing is foolproof.

File-based is better! Remember? ;-)

- Oliver

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment