Saturday, March 10, 2012

Re: [Avid-L2] AMA relink with Canon 5D files

 

short answer:
Decompose, take your media offline, re-import at 120 or 180 Mbits (10 bit is
overkill) and get another colorist.

Bouke

VideoToolShed
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS NIJMEGEN
The Netherlands
+31 24 3553311
www.videotoolshed.com
For large files:
http://dropbox.yousendit.com/BoukeVahl998172

----- Original Message -----
From: "pierrehaberer" <ph@cineaste.org>
To: <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 4:13 PM
Subject: [Avid-L2] AMA relink with Canon 5D files

I've posted that question on the forum, but there are a lot of knowledgable
people here who don't necessarily read them. So I'll add it here too.

I'm reaching the end of a film cut on 5.5. Film was shot on Canon 5D MkII,
then all the files came on two hard drives on which each card had been
copied. We linked all those folders to bins (one bin per camera card) using
AMA, then each clip was transcoded to DNxHD36, one bin at the time. Hundred
hours of footage.

Now the edit is done, and it's time to go back to the original camera files.
It's my first film shot on a 5D, but I followed a similar workflow on
several films before which were shot on XDCam and on which everything went
smoothly: Link via AMA / Transcode to DNX36 / Edit / Relink final sequence
to original XDCam / Export Tiff sequence for color grading on Colorus.

But I just talked to the colorist and he said that AMA for 5D on Media
Composer 5.5 is a bit flakey because it modifies the luma range of the
picture. Fine, I can use MC6 just for the relink. I need to export tiff
files that would have the full 000-255 range: what is the best way to do
that when I relink my final sequence? Any settings (project settings, etc) I
should be aware of? What settings for export?

Thanks to all the AMA experts out there!
Pierre

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment