Friday, December 9, 2011

Re: [Avid-L2] Does Life need a TBC or do I need my head examined?

 

I often suffer from John's problem when I've been color correcting a lot. Particularly on days with a certain amount of high cloud cover, the contrast ratios of real life are just inadequate. Bright days torture me with an excess of highlight saturation, particularly on the sides of pastel colored buildings.

The worst ever was wandering out of the eye doctor's the one time they forgot to give me those ugly sunglasses after having the dilation drops. Talk about highlight saturation! The world looked mini-DV from the late 90s! It triggered major CC anxiety.

Best,
Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Huson <Greg@SecretHQ.com>
To: Avid-L2 <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Dec 9, 2011 7:23 am
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] Does Life need a TBC or do I need my head examined?

Sounds like you need to use better lenses, to be honest. Something contrasty,
but with a nice soft glow?

gh
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Culver City, CA
323 677 2092
www.DigitalServiceStation.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com
facebook.com/greg.huson
www.SecretHQ.com

On Dec 9, 2011, at 11:32 AM, John Moore wrote:

> As I stare out the window today I can't help thinking that the setup is too
high in LA these days. If I was in the edit bay I'd surely pull down the black
levels to get full range. I'm usually in the habit of finding something in an
image that should be at or close to black. I'm curious how others approach
this. I don't like images to look washed out with a high setup but am I
artificially stretching things that I shouldn't? I have a similar approach to
gain in that I usually find something in an scene that should be at or near
100%. I'm always trying to get the maximum dynamic range I can. In a feature
film some scenes are darker than others and clearly their brightest elements may
not approach 100% luma level. Working primarily in TV reality and documentary
shows I've had good results with a full range approach. Should I grow a pair
and start letting darker scenes not peak near 100% or let setup not always start
at 0 level? The
> brain seems to make it all seem okay when I do the full range color correction
and brighter scenes feel brighter even when the setup and gain limits are
technically the same. I'd like to hear what others think about this.
>
> John Moore
>
> Barking Trout Productions
>
> Studio City, CA
>
> bigfish@pacbell.net
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

------------------------------------

Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at: http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment