Friday, October 16, 2009

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Rates?

Once again, I would never ask about your personal rates. I was hoping to get actual numbers for what's common in your markets. I think we all know that our personal rates are always negotiable and that we tend to charge less for FCP than Avid. In my market, that has more to do with the fact that FCP jobs tend to be independent documentary and feature, in other words, the producers are indigent. The one time I did a corporate job on FCP I charged my normal corporate rate.
So, numbers anyone? Once again, stated as ranges for the different types of work I listed; this is not an inquiry about your personal day rate. Also, if it's not obvious, tell me what market you're in.

Many thanks!

Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hullfish <steve4lists@veralith.com>
To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, Oct 16, 2009 3:39 pm
Subject: Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Rates?


I agree that rates for FCP are lower than rates for Avid.

I just heard back from a client that I thought loved my last job for
them, but I hadn't heard back since (March).

Today, a co-worker of the people that hired me secretly sent me an
internal memo that stated that they loved the last project, but my
rate was too high.

It was an FCP job on my own equipment and I did it for $50 less per
day than my cheapest Avid freelance day rate and $250 a day less than
my Symphony on-line/color correction freelance rate. And that STILL
isn't cheap enough for them. This is a major national broadcaster.
None of my Avid clients balk at my day rate.

Makes you think: Sure Avid is $2300 or whatever it is compared to
$1200 for FCS, but if you make $250 a day more for Avid work than FCP
work, Avid pays for the difference in less than a week. Even if you
just make $50 more a day, it pays for the difference in about a month.

Come on Avid marketing weasels: Find a concept that pays and run with
it!

How about this for an ad headline?

90% of all YouTube videos are edited on Final Cut Pro.
90% of all prime time television and feature films are edited on Avid.
If you want to succeed as an editing professional, the choice is clear.


OK, so it's snarky and mean. I switch back and forth between Avid and
FCP all the time myself. I do consider Avid a more professional tool,
but that's mostly because of output/layoff and not because of actual
editing. Like most people, I find myself missing certain FCP tools and
capabilities when I'm on Avid, and vice versa. But this is the avid-l
not the fcp-l and I've done enough Avid bashing for the month with my
last eternal/infernal thread about Avid marketing.


On Oct 16, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Rick wrote:

> I've lost work when corporate people, say why would I pay you that?
> I've got people who will do it for $10 an hour. Not to start a war
> here, but most of the time, those are usually FCP jobs. Avid gigs
> seem to pay better, or at least have less resistance to my day rate.
>
> Rick Emery
> www.rickemery.com
>
> ________________________________
> From: "guanacaa@aol.com" <guanacaa@aol.com>
> To: Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Fri, October 16, 2009 5:46:56 PM
> Subject: [Avid-L2] OT: Rates?
>
> Obviously, I would never ask anyone to quote their rate in a public
> forum, but I'm curious as to what is happening to rates around the
> nation, and the world. I'm asking this question as a matter of
> what's common, not what you personally charge, and I'm interested
> primarily in freelance rates, though it would be interesting to know
> how freelance and staff rates compare in a given market. Obviously,
> different types of work mean different types of rates, so I would
> like to know about:
>
> 1) independent documentary
>
> 2) broadcast, meaning under the roof of any major station and PBS
> affiliate, union and non
>
> 3) cable sweat shop - to clarify this term, all those places that
> crank out History Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, and
> (shudder!) Home and Garden programming.
>
> 4) corporate
>
> 5) advertising (spot cutting)
>
> I'm primarily interested in rates for offline work, though in
> certain types of work in my market there is no real rate distinction
> between offline and online. If it's different in yours, that would
> interest me too. You can quote rates by the hour, the day, or the
> week. The assumption is that these rates are being charged by
> experienced editors with at least ten years under their belts, not
> by kids fresh out of school. I'll do the conversion of any rates
> stated in Euros or other, national currencies.
>
> Thanks for sharing any intel you may have. I sincerely hope there's
> nothing inappropriate about this, but it seems we've talked about
> money before, and if I am being inappropriate, I'm sure Jeff will
> let me know ;-)
>
> Shirley
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:

http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Avid L2, Where the Answers are.Yahoo! Groups Links



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Search the offical complete Avid-L archives at:

http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/

Avid L2, Where the Answers are.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Avid-L2-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Avid-L2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Avid-L2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment