Thursday, October 17, 2024

Re: [Avid-L2] Delivery Spec Curiosity? 30 and 20 second durations?

This is semantics.

English is not my native English, and for me it's limited.
You have words like:

Starts At
From
To
Up to 
Up to and including
Between
Ends At
Ends before

Now the word 'TO' is highly confusing.
'Go to the second floor'. You know where to go, you end up on the second floor, or you miss your appointment.
Now:
'Go to the railroad crossing'
Same word 'to', but you probably do NOT end up on the tracks, where you were told to go.

Over here 'to' (translated to 'tot') means the same as the railroad example, stop BEFORE.
'Count to three' would mean '1, 2' (NOT include three, but everyone will do so, except coders like me who would say: '0, 1, 2')
Or we use 'tot en met', meaning 'up to AND INCLUDING'

I stay until Wednesday, when will I leave? We could say up to and including Wednesday, no clue how that would be in English.

Over here it's also very often a big mess, when you fill in an online form with dates, it is 'start date' and 'to' and 'end dates', where the end date is most of the time 'to and including'.

Highly annoying.

To make it worse, the old fashioned 'out point' was on the frame you wanted to keep. (So park after the black gap on the first image, hit 'mark out', insert, only black overwritten.

Now edit a high pace story driven dazzling show, with a duration of 1 frame.

TC starts at 00:00:00:00
What is your end TC?
Your TC last frame?
Duration is 1 frame…

Now for a 1 second show.
Duration is 30 frames
TC starts at 00:00:00:00
So TC last frame = 00:00:00:29
Mark Out = 00:00:01:00, but that cannot be, as this DOES NOT EXIST in this file. It would be if it was placed in a timeline / on a striped tape
Duration however is 00:00:01:00 (one second)

Mind you, first frame is labeled 0 (zero) in timecode, but is in fact a frame. ('Frame 1 is at TC 00:00:00:00")



Bouke / edit 'B

videotoolshed.com
Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS Nijmegen, the Netherlands
+31 6 21817248
If you want to send me large files, please use:
https://videotoolshed.wetransfer.com/

On 17 Oct 2024, at 09:41, John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net> wrote:

Unfortunately I have to do what they ask.  I know when I make H_264s from Avid when I link back to the resulting file it always stops two frames before the end of the file when linked.  If I open the same file in QT player etc... I see all the frames.  For example the file ends at ;29 but when linked back to in Avid the last frame displayed is :27.  It's been that way for a long time.  I hadn't realized "Switch" was a server thing but perhaps it has a similar quirk.  I've asked the network for clarification.  My biggest concern is when they say 21:01 or 30:03 are those last frames inclusive out points or exclusive out points.  Should I have video on the :01 or :03 frame?

No comments:

Post a Comment