Sunday, May 26, 2024

[Avid-L2] Bulk Transcoding advice

Mac OS 13.6.7
MC 23.3.1 (Thanks to this List!)

Hello List,

Looking for workflow advice - My co-editor and I routinely relabel folders by their reel names so that we know which files are which. We are using 4k LB proxies to edit (I can explain why but it is not really part of the question.)

I get several cards worth of raw material. I link to the cards, apply color transformations (because I want to bake those into the proxies - our colorist tosses all that anyway to start from the original log.) Now I want to transcode the clips.
I see these possibilities:
  1. 1. I can go one bin at a time which means it creates one folder on a specific drive which I can rename with the reel name when it is done (realizing the Avid will not update the index for it.) But that is a lot of sitting around at the Avid, marching along one bin at a time though it also seems to be the way things work best currently.
  2. 2. I can copy all the clips into one bin, transcode all of it, but then I have to sort the mxf Avid files by reel after the fact which I think requires "reveal file" one at a time. (As far as I know there is no "multi-file reveal" Grrr.)..
  3. 3. I can use background transcoding which has the advantage of assigning different disks for different reels which removes the sorting problem and sets up a big transcode. (I can see family and friends!) But I have had mixed success with background transcoding. It seems to dump out on larger files with error messages. It has alway felt slower but that may be an illusion. Anyone else have issues with background transcoding?
  4. 4. Hire an AE - not on this project, unfortunately.
  5. 5. [Your incredibly smart perhaps even obvious "and why didn't I think of that!" idea here!]
Thanks,
Dan



No comments:

Post a Comment