Thursday, September 5, 2019

Re: [Avid-L2] Availability of ProRes Codec internal to Avid in a PC and Mac world?

 

Upon further investigation the Post Sup told me they figured it out.  When asked what the problem/solution was he said "Lack of knowledge."  So I guess they weren't tapping their heals three times.  They'd always had the ability to export ProRes.  Now all they have to do is watch out for flying Monkeys or houses.  Clearly the Wicked Witch of the West won't let PCs export ProRes.  I need to go splash some water around Silicon Valley.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bigfish@...> wrote :

Okay I had mistakenly conflated the fact that on my Mac Avids I can render to, mixdown to ProRes and consolidate ProRes media, which in my mind makes it a native codec to Avid, to mean that even a PC could do this because it was internal code in Avid making the renders and mixdowns.  I have been reminded by you and Terry C. this is not the case and there are licensing issues that prevent windows from writing to ProRes.

Now it turns out the Post Sup asking the question confirmed that they are on mac Avids so I don't know why he is being told they can't export to ProRes.  Could the lack of an Apple Pro App on their system be the reason they seem to be lacking this ability?  I've always installed FCP 7 on my systems so I end up with the Pro Codecs and the ability to export to them in QT7 Pro.  In the absence of an Apple Pro App is Avid incapable of exporting, rendering to or mixing down to ProRes?

---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <mactvman@...> wrote :

I think you already get this, but to be clear…

I can read, playback and edit ProRes media all day in Media Composer under Windows.  I can even ingest ProRes QuickTimes via consolidate or fast import, retaining the ProRes source media in Media Composer.  In all those cases, Media Composer is merely copying existing ProRes sources.  What I cannot do is render or create any ProRes Media with Media Composer.

Dave Hogan,
Burbank, CA


On Sep 5, 2019, at 4:09 PM, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Thanks for the info.  I had thought Avid considered ProRes as native media these days.  Everybodies been saying for years to mixdown to ProRes in Avid and export same as source to avoid the annoying level shifts.  I figured that was available on PCs as well.

I have found out the the folks asking the question are on macs but I don't know what Avid version.  I had thought Avid and Adobe and others had written their own code to avoid the need for QT dependence.  Perhaps I mistakenly figured that meant the ProRes choices I see in Avid meant it was a fully native codec in Avid at this point and not dependent on being on a mac.  Well more will be revealed.


---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <mactvman@...> wrote :

Hey John,

Where I work all our online bays are PC, running mostly Windows 10.  We don't have the option to do any kind of mix down to ProRes media.

If my source files happen to be ProRes I can read that on PC, and if there are no effects in a cuts only timeline, I have in the past exported "Same as Source" and gotten ProRes, but I haven't done it recently, to know if it works on current Media Composer versions.  However in that scenario, the PC Media Composer cannot "create" any new media in ProRes.  The option is not available in Media Creation settings.

What we do where I work is create an OP1a DNx175X file with audio, open that file on a Mac and do the ProRes export there.  (Or do an uncompressed Video MixDown RGB with audio, in a sequence in a Bin).

Either way, That's how we get to ProRes.  Always on a Mac, from MXF media.  Mac Media Composer has the choice in Media Creation settings to use MXF or ProRes, and there is still the option to bring into Final Cut.  I know there are some hoops our Avid Assists go through to prevent levels shifts, but I don't currently know what those are.  (I'll ask and follow up tonight).

Dave Hogan
Burbank, CA

On Sep 5, 2019, at 11:12 AM, John Moore bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I've been so Mac centric I've not had to deal with ProRes in a PC world for a long time.  It has been my understanding for quite a while the best way to export ProRes out of avid is to do a video mixdown to prores and then export that same as source.  This bypasses any involvement in the QT engine that is notorious for slight level/gamma shifts.  I'm assuming this is still true.  

I'm helping out a post sup on a new show and they don't seem to have the ProRes codec on their systems.  I'm not sure if they are PC or mac but sounds like PC to me.  Wouldn't any mac have ProRes Codec available or is the the difference between reading ProRes and writing?  I know without a QTPro license I could not export from QT 7Pro.  All my macs have FCP7 installed so they got the QT 7Pro license.  Is it possible that a new mac could not have the ability to write a ProRes file unless somthing like compressor etc... is installed.  In such a situation be it PC or Mac would an internal video mixdown to ProRes exported same as source to a .mov create a proper ProRes QT?  That's the impression I've gotten over the years.  If this is correct then it appears Avid can write a prores file internally or render to prores without the need for the QT codecs.  Am I understanding this correctly?

John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@...




__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment