Saturday, March 11, 2017

Re: [Avid-L2] Conforming back to camera original files

 

So say I take footage from an Arri Alexa, Panasonic Varicam 35 and or Sony F55 or any of the Sony Family and I ama link in Avid and transcode to DNxHRHQX.  I know I can send an aaf to Resolve and it will work without need to assist using reel numbers.  I know it works in the times I've done this but it is still a bit of magic to me as I haven't spent the years I have in Avid which is magic of it's own but it's the Devil I know.  With the Avid AMA transcoded media to DNxHRHQX is the UMID maintained in the meta data in Avid and will the AAF sent to Resolve from Avid have that UMID available so that when I import the camera raw into my Resolve project and click use camera originals then Resolve will base it's relink on the UMID to get to the camera originals?

I realize if I've transcoded to DNxHRHQX that could certainly used for grading and would be my typical path but for the purist the camera originals are what they seek.  Also relinking to the camera originals would allow a simple link between the clips from a single camera file that would automatically apply a color grade to all shots from that camera file/clip.  In my recent Resolve class I confirmed with the instructor that if I send my Avid AAF with transcoded clips with handles I would lose the color grade link unless I manually group all the clips from a particular camera file together.

I know Scott F has posted several tutorials about round tripping and now that I have a better basic understanding of Resolve I'm trying to wrap my head around how not assiting with reel numbers works under the hood.  It seems most of the things I had read in the past were tied to using assist using reel numbers.



---In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, <bouke@...> wrote :

My bad, typo, it should say UMID
Unique Media IdeNtifier.
A number that is unique for each file, and is preserved in the proxies.
This beats Reel / TC, as that could be double in theory.
UMID sorta kinda works by creating a number composed of  location, time and a large random number.
Chances that two cams (or other devices are at the same location and start at the same time and create the same random number are very close to zero.

So, Resolve scans all media and keeps track of the numbers. Makes perfect sense and works swell.
Bouke

Edit 'B / VideoToolShed.com
van Oldenbarneveltstraat 33
6512 AS  Nijmegen
+31 6 21817248

On 10 Mar 2017, at 19:09, bigfish@... [Avid-L2] <Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit on the UUID linking? 

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment