Saturday, December 12, 2015

[Avid-L2] What happens under the hood between a progressive and interlace render?

 

I posted a week or so ago about how I found on a 29.97P 1080 project when the source footage is 2:3 pulldown rendering an upper track of safe color limit while in progressive mode creates Jiggy Jaggy artifacts in the resulting render.  Unrendered when parked on a split field I see the typical flutter of the split field frame but after rendering it's no longer a flutter but a baked in jiggy jaggy like interlace error but the lines of jiggy jaggy seem to be thicker than the single lines of interlace I would expect from a Psf field structure. 

If I switch to a 59.94I 1080 project I can step through the fields/Psfs and both fields have jiggy jaggy interlacy issues.  If I I render the safe color while in 59.94i 1080 then step through the fields of a split frame they are both clean like typical 2:3 pulldown.  Given Avid deals with progressive material in a Psf manner why don't I still end up with two clean fields when rendered in progressive?  Am I over simplifying the Psf structure under the hood?  I would expect a render to merge the two fields independent of each other into a single progressive frame like I see before I render but these jiggy jaggies get baked into both Psfs.

The result is I have to render in interlace to avoid the jiggy jaggies but I realize any dve type moves or titles with animations will be rendered with interlace motion which is problematic for a true progressive project.  Of course the show will air as interlace but the delivery spec is 29.97P  I would assume the digital delivery department is where they will take issue to the 2:3 cadence.  The simple option is to put duplicate field 100% timewarps on the 2:3 footage but I hate to half the resolution.  Part of my brain says 2:3 is still progressive in the nature of the image but the other part says this isn't truly progressive either.

Curious what others think about this and why the jiggy jaggies get baked in to both Psfs.
 
John Moore Barking Trout Productions Studio City, CA bigfish@pacbell.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Moore <bigfish@pacbell.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment