Saturday, January 26, 2013

Re: [Avid-L2] OT: Survey

 

Many thanks to everyone for the support!

Tony, The paper I'm writing is mainly related to Benford's Law.
Benford's Law only deals with the frequency of various values for the
first digit of the number so European and US answers should track about
the same. If I had talked with you sooner I might have tracked the IP
addresses to see if there was any correlation.

Jim, Thank you for the encouragement!! I did not know about the
upcoming American Experience but I will look for it. I've worked on a
handful of episodes of A.E. and I like the series a lot.

The class I'm taking is a 400 level Crime Scene Investigation class.
I've been handling Cadaver Detection Dogs as volunteer work for law
enforcement for the last 14 years and I thought it would be good to
finally have some academic training in forensics. If I had known how
much knowledge of statistics would be assumed, I might have chosen to
stay ignorant. The last math class I took (1st semester calculus) was
40 years ago. I was an art major. This stuff is making my head hurt.
But, I'm getting ever closer to being able to say with authority that
getting rid of the weightlifter dude was a crime:-) --J.B.

Jim Feeley wrote:
>> I'm taking a Forensic Science class.
>>
> John, that's soo cool! I only got through the first few questions (and you know why). I've never seen any of the CSI shows, but I've been digging into (well, interviewing people who practice) forensic science myself. Damn interesting stuff.
>
> Would love to know the results of your survey once you've acquired and digested them.
>
> To get back semi-on topic, you probably already know that a 2x60 doc based on Deborah Blum's fun book, The Poisoner's Handbook, is coming to American Experience (this Fall, I think).
>
> A bit jealously,
>
> Jim Feeley
> jfeeley@gmail.com
>
Tony Quinsee-Jover wrote:
> I suspect you'll get quite different results from European respondents than US respondents.
>
> I'd be interested to see the results too.
>
> Tony
>

> On Jan 25, 2013, at 10:02 AM, John Beck wrote:
>
>
>> Please forgive the off topic post. After a 35 year break from college,
>> I'm taking a Forensic Science class. School seems to involve more work
>> and less drinking than what I remember but I'm hoping to learn something.
>>
>> You can help me with a class project if you would fill out a short
>> survey. It does not involve any personal information. None of your
>> individual answers will be shared with anyone. Just three short
>> questions that should take a minute or less or your time. One more
>> request; if you take the survey, please don't discuss it with anyone who
>> might take it after you.
>>
>> I'm looking for between 50 and 100 responses. Many Thanks!!! --J.B.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Search the official Complete Avid-L archives at:   http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment