Friday, December 11, 2015

Re: [Avid-L2] Re: Some Success taking Premier Project into Avid

 

We can agree to disagree here.  I'm using an edl and the Arri structure of 8 character of the first 4 and the last four are not unique to the individual C001s etc,,,,  In every project I've dealt with there the first four characters are identifying the camera and I guess card or load A001, A002 for A cam etc...  That's all I need to know as to which camera it is so the last 4 characters being the unique Camera ID seem more for an engineering type analysis of which actual camera body it came from.  To me from a post perspective knowing it was the camera A position is more important than the actual camera body.  Not know which C00X clip it is is a much bigger problem and I've had to go through using the time code to determine which clip number.  Now that I know the gotcha I can modify the Premier project but perhaps if Arri gave the user more control over the limit of 8 characters and what they are then this could be avoided.

When I manually enter the tape name in premier with the full clip name the 8 character truncation to the first 8 characters work.  I'm not sure how the hand offs happen on FXP7 and FCP X etc but if all you go by is the default 8 characters Arri puts as the tape name there is no way to distinguish clips from C001, C002 etc...  Those numbers aren't present in the tape name so there is no way that using that tape name will work unless there is only one clip per A001 etc... I would have to say the workflows you have been using are using more than just the tape name to link the clips.



---In avid-l2@yahoogroups.com, <oliverpeters@...> wrote :

"That makes it impossible to know which Clip to link the file to."

Gosh, it's worked perfectly for me over multiple projects between FCP7 and Baselight. Same with FCPX. There's something wrong in your operational procedure. The big problem here is Media Composer from what I can tell in your description.

"The Camera ID is redundant to the A001 digits when they are properly setup in the camera"

Incorrect. The first numbers are user-determined. The camera ID is unique to the camera. User numbers can be duplicated, but camera IDs can't. Therefore it's a unique identifier.

"In my use of these camera's media I need to know which camera and which clip."

The file name tells you this.

"I'm handed a drive with all the files on it so I never refer to cards"

If these aren't stored in individual folders on the drive corresponding to the cards, then your procedure is wrong.

- Oliver

__._,_.___

Posted by: bigfish@pacbell.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)
this is the Avid-L2

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment